UPPER DARBY — The suspect wanted for the shooting death of an Upper Darby man on Christmas Eve has been arrested, according to authorities.

Jazmar Thomas, 18, of the 100 block of West 21st Street in Chester, was arrested on Jan. 4 and charged with criminal homicide, murder of the first, second and third degrees, robbery and weapon offenses for the Christmas Eve shooting death of 20-year-old Samir Geiger in the alleyway of the 200 block of Margate Road.

According to the affidavit of probable cause filed by Detective Christopher Karr, the shooting occurred at 9:24 p.m. and responding police pronounced Geiger dead at the scene from multiple gunshot wounds. A witness said Geiger had stayed with them in their house right before the shooting. They told police that Geiger received a phone call and said, “Alright bro here I come,” and said he would be back.

Police said a phone was not found on Geiger’s person in the course of their investigation.

An Infiniti G35 car that was seen fleeing the scene of the shooting was discovered early Christmas morning burning on Edgehill Road in Darby Borough. That car was brought back to Upper Darby Police Headquarters for analysis and a latent fingerprint was found on the driver’s door above the handle by Detective Kevin Finnegan. An analysis by the District Attorney’s Criminal Investigation Division identified it to the left index finger of Thomas.

An examination of cell phone records details Thomas’ location the night of the murder, pinpointing his location to the 200 block of Margate at the time of the murder, and then on the Darby street at the time the car was set on fire.

“Based on the facts as stated above it is not unreasonable to believe that Jazmar Thomas was inside of the Infiniti G35 and used this vehicle to go from the scene of this homicide to Darby,” writes Karr in the affidavit. “Furthermore, it is not unreasonable to believe that Thomas returned to this vehicle on Dec. 25, 2019 to light it on fire in order to destroy any evidence inside of the vehicle."

Police say a phone and a Glock handgun believed to be in Geiger’s possession at the time of the murder have not yet been recovered.

Thomas went to police headquarters for questioning on Dec. 31 and was released. A search warrant was then served at his Chester residence and Thomas turned himself in over the weekend.

“This is great work by the Upper Darby Police Department. This is something that everyone in the community can understand: For us to move quickly to solve any homicide that happens in Delaware County,” said District Attorney Jack Stollsteimer.

The investigation is still fluid, according to Acting Police Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt as authorities continue to look at other persons who may have been in the Infiniti and the overall nature of the robbery.

Thomas is being held without bail at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing before Magisterial District Judge Christopher Mattox on Jan. 10.

comments powered by Disqus