Cobb

David Cobb

TownNews.com Content Exchange

MEDIA COURTHOUSE — A 20-year-old Chester man who allegedly accidentally shot a 14-year-old in the head earlier this year waived formal arraignment Tuesday.

David Cobb is facing charges of third-degree murder, criminal homicide, firearms not to be carried without a license and possession of a weapon in the Feb. 21 shooting death of 14-year-old Barry Mills Jr.

Police responded to the 1900 block of Tolston Street for a report of a shooting and found Mills suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was transported to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia where he succumbed to his injuries. His death was later ruled a homicide.

Officers interviewed several witnesses that identified Cobb as the shooter. One witness allegedly said he accompanied Mills to the shooting scene to wish a friend a happy birthday. The witness said Cobb started “joking around” and pointed the rifle at Mills, then said, “Give me your phone.”

The witness then heard a loud “boom” sound and heard Cobb say, “Oh my God! I didn’t mean to do it,” according to police. A second witness said they heard Cobb on the phone shortly after the incident apologizing and saying that it was an accident.

Cobb turned himself in March 10 and is being held without bail at the county jail in Concord.

Defense attorney Tracie Burns told Common Pleas Court Judge John Capuzzi Tuesday that she has been in discussion with Assistant District Attorney Sean McNabb about a non-trial disposition and has already ordered a psychological and intelligence evaluation to that end.

Burns indicated she would be making a pitch for a manslaughter charge once she has the results of those evaluations in hand. A pretrial conference date has been set for June 21.

This article originally ran on delcotimes.com.

Locations

TownNews.com Content Exchange
comments powered by Disqus