HAVERFORD — Wednesday’s rains are but a memory for most of Delco, but not for residents of the 2500 block of Wynnefield Drive, who have to clean up following thunderstorms that dropped inches of rain from the swelling Cobbs Creek into their basements and garages.

“I was in Ocean City on vacation until 10 p.m. last night, now it’s time for the cleanup, shop vac, remove the mud and trash,” said Peter Kerasavich as he hauled out ruined rugs and electronics from the basement of his home. “Our washer, dryer and hot water heater were destroyed.”

As neighbors worked, township crews were picking up storm debris and running the street sweeper up and down the block to remove mud.

The National weather service recorded 1.63 inches of rain from the storm at the at the airport, while Accuweather radar showed localized amounts between 3-5 inches.

Residents say the they had not seen such conditions on the street since a storm in August 2009. The rising water comes not just from the creek but from nearby Merwood Park flooding which flows down the road in the front of their homes.

“It was a little bit scary for a minute,” said neighbor Jill Fisher. “When I moved my car, it was halfway up on the wheel.”

Other neighbors weren’t so lucky. A resident on vacation had their Hyundai sedan partially submerged. Neighbors say as the water rose the alarm and lights started flashing, not a good sign for the electronics.

“Most of the neighbors know, so they move their cars,” Fisher said.

Kim Harman was out cleaning up Thursday with the help of her son Max.

“As fast as the water come up it went back down,” she said. “We only got about 3 inches in the basement, the door saved us.”

Harman called her insurance company who told her to be patient as it had a lot of claims from the storm.

“I’ll be happy just to get the gas back on,” said Jennifer Meyers. “The fire department shut it off last night. We usually get a bit, but nothing like this. We had 18 inches of water. Luckily most of our things were in containers.”

Up the street Laurey Andreas was thankful that she had escaped the worst of the storm.

“We only had a couple of inches,” Andreas said. “I wasn’t home when it happened, but I called my daughter to move the car. She wasn’t able to get it through the water but she moved it back up the street so we’ll be okay.”

Just off Rolling Road in Springfield, staff of the Springfield Swim Club was busy hosing off the mud that covered the walkways and pools.

“We have Delval Pool Supply draining and cleaning the main pool while our staff handles the kiddie pool,” said Manager Jim Ryan. “We’ll reopen, but it takes three and a half days to fill the main pool.”

Ryan said they had about 6 inches of water in the office, but most items are kept higher.

Ryan said the club was confronted with the same problem last year; however, Wednesday's circumstances were different.

“It was a fast-rising flood this time,” Ryan said. “Last year, it was a long rainstorm. This was faster and we had staff lose cars in the lot. The water comes from Darby Creek at the rear of the property not the small stream in the front. We’re power washing everything but it is a flood zone.”

As crews hosed down the pools, Manager Ian Dath in the parking lot scooping water out of his 2000 Honda Civic. The Penn State student wasn’t hopeful he could salvage the vehicle, but said at least he didn’t need it to commute once school starts back up in the fall.

comments powered by Disqus